Friday, November 11, 2011

Life list

Print by FreyaArt on Etsy
Last year, inspired by Making it Lovely's 30 before 30 list, I drew out a list of 30 things that I wanted to do before my 30th birthday this past February. Of course, like all my best laid plans that never go anywhere, the list remained unvisited. My thirtieth birthday came and went and much of the items on it were never accomplished.  A few days ago, almost 9 months after my birthday, I came across another list by Making it Lovely, who was motivated by mightygirl's mighty life list, and was inspired to make one of my own. 


I don't know how many of my goals I will accomplish - some of them may be loftier, and much more difficult to achieve than others. I may or may not finish everything (or nothing) that I aspire to in this list. In the future I may delete some of my goals because they do not appeal to me anymore. I may also add new things I would like to do in my lifetime as I discover new things to do and places to visit. I may forget all about this list like I did with my previous list. Only time will tell.


What is the point of this list, you may ask. Let me make this clear - this is NOT a bucket list. There are too many things to do and discover in the world, that I could never have a bucket list that was finite. I see this list as reflecting my place in life today. It is a collection of things that I want to, would like to, and can do, given the resources (time, money, energy) I have. Also, making the list has helped me discover a lot about myself - sometimes one doesn't know what they want, until they think hard about what they want. 


Here is my list, in no particular order of importance


  • Ice-skate without falling over
  • Refurbish/ paint/ upholster at least one piece of furniture
  • Learn how to swim
  • Take the trans siberian train
  • Go bowling
  • Play a game of poker, and win it
  • Visit the Museum of Modern Arts
  • Bake a cheesecake from scratch
  • Have an engagement style photo shoot done
  • Read all of Leo Tolstoy's works
  • Build a table from scratch
  • Make a quilt
  • Watch all the movies on Time's top 100 all time movies
  • Go on a bike ride with Mr. Sunshine
  • Adopt a child
  • See a full solar eclipse with Mr. Sunshine (I saw one as a child with my family - it was the most beautiful thing I have seen in the world)
  • Play the Violin
  • Look over the Kremlin from the Red Square
  • Wear a full length sequined evening gown, and rock it
  • Shave my head
  • See the aurora borealis
  • Make flavored vodka
  • Wallpaper a wall
  • Write a book
  • Make a 1000 origami cranes
  • Backpack across China
  • Get a peacock tattoo
  • Own a home with a graden
  • Own a Catherine Holmes bowl
  • Have a baby
  • And another
  • And maybe one more
  • Crochet a granny square afghan
  • Visit Jerusalem
  • Throw a birthday party for myself
  • Teach our son (if we have one) to sew and knit
  • And since I need to teach him, learn to sew and knit
  • Go to a broadway show
  • See a penguin
  • Win an election
  • Have a conversation in Norwegian
  • See Peles castle in Romania
  • Start a tradition with my future nieces and nephews
  • Own an inspiring piece of art
  • Renew our vows - what can I say, I love any excuse for a party
  • Go to antarctica 
  • Fix a fixer upper house with Mr. Sunshine
  • Own saris from different parts of the country
  • Stay in a river boat in Kerala for a week
  • Own an Eames rocking chair in yellow
  • Give a year of my life to volunteer
  • Wear a sari Maharastrian style
  • Do a night tour of paris
  • Go fishing
  • Cook fish caught by me or Mr. Sunshine
  • Learn how to walk properly while wearing heels - right now I walk like a penguin, when I wear heels
  • Host a new years party
  • Make a family tree
  • Design and plan a wedding
  • Move to a country in Africa
  • Start and host a movie night
  • Gift everyone a gift of homemade food gifts for a year
  • Decorate a three tiered cake
  • Meet John Stewart, Steven Colbert, Barack Obama, Ira Glas
  • Write about the life of my grandmother and her sisters
  • See a fjord
  • Host a christmas dinner
  • Start the tradition of doing one thing, one specific day, each year for the rest of my life
  • Own all of the books from the Penguin Great Food series
  • Get our pictures taken in front of the Taj Mahal
  • Visit all 50 states in the US
  • Eat a macron at a cafe in Paris
  • Stay in a lighthouse
  • Host a photo booth party
  • Teach a child to read
  • Open a book/ flower/ art/ crafts/ home store in a cafe
  • Learn how to make rotis properly
  • Go to Rio during Carnival
  • Celebrate our 25th anniversary
  • Walk around Prague
  • Get another degree (in something)
  • Make sushi at home
  • Do more random acts of kindness

0 comments:

Post a Comment